#angband-dev Meeting

Meeting started by takkaria at 19:11:13 UTC (full logs).

Meeting summary

    1. Agenda is at http://trac.rephial.org/wiki/ToDiscuss/Agenda2011June (takkaria, 19:11:30)
    2. http://trac.rephial.org/wiki/ToDiscuss/Agenda2011June (d_m, 19:11:45)

  1. Releases (takkaria, 19:11:59)
    1. AGREED: broadly, we're still doing things by consensus, with takk having the final say (takkaria, 19:28:04)
    2. AGREED: the RM is basically a project manager; they make sure that the release happens (takkaria, 19:28:20)
    3. http://trac.rephial.org/wiki/ReleaseChecklist (noz, 19:30:27)
    4. IDEA: there should be two phases of the cycle: 1. development, followed by 2. testing, bugfixing, release (d_m, 19:31:56)
    5. IDEA: Add to the release checklist copyright/licensing checking: copyright years, source file headers, DFSG compliance, etc. (myshkin, 19:32:22)
    6. IDEA: We should have a specific type of trac ticket tag to distinguish "aiming for this release" from "must be fixed before this release" (noz, 19:33:38)
    7. IDEA: Use trac Milestone for "aiming for" this release and Blocker keyword for "must fix" (magnate, 19:39:47)
    8. IDEA: The RM should warn on #angband-dev if any blockers are endangering the release date. (magnate, 19:40:10)
    9. IDEA: Release candidates should be part of the release cycle. Do not release RC versions before consensus amongst the dev team. (myshkin, 19:40:18)
    10. IDEA: we should git branch as soon as feature freeze happens and the release manager is solely responsible for what fixes go to it (takkaria, 19:40:28)
    11. what about things that have been broken for a long time, never worked, etc? who decides how much progress has to be made to keep them in, or if they should be removed? how does that fit into the release process? (d_m, 19:42:12)
    12. IDEA: The RM should check copyrights of source files, and any new fonts/gfx files etc. (magnate, 19:42:42)
    13. AGREED: the release criteria is that we have no outstanding "blocker" bugs for a given milestone (takkaria, 19:47:18)
    14. AGREED: the RM should prepare RCs, which need to be actual candidates for release and have the consensus of other devs (takkaria, 19:47:55)
    15. AGREED: the RM should use the release checklist (takkaria, 19:48:04)
    16. AGREED: the RM has resposnsibility for sorting out bugfix releases (takkaria, 19:48:17)
    17. IDEA: We need a discussion about how to fix/remove broken stuff from the game which isn't interesting to work on (d_m, 19:51:32)
    18. ACTION: takkaria to provide RM with shell account on rephial.org (magnate, 19:52:49)
    19. IDEA: angband.oook.cz should be on the announcements list. (myshkin, 19:53:13)
    20. AGREED: magnate to be release manager for 3.3 (takkaria, 19:54:38)

  2. Status of 33 - where are we up to? when should code freeze be? what have we got time to fix? (takkaria, 19:56:08)
    1. IDEA: the first thing to do is go down that list and decide what will (and won't) be fixed for 3.3.0 (noz, 19:56:48)
    2. IDEA: devs should take ownership of 3.3 bugs they want to fix, by setting them to "assigned" (magnate, 19:58:00)
    3. http://trac.rephial.org/query?owner=&status=assigned&status=confirmed&status=new&status=reopened&type=bug&milestone=3.3.0&group=owner&col=id&col=summary&col=type&col=owner&col=time&col=changetime&order=priority (takkaria, 20:00:11)
    4. ACTION: what about \e? (takkaria, 20:05:31)
    5. http://trac.rephial.org/ticket/1313 - 'n' keeps target when confused (Chessa, 20:06:02)
    6. oh! what should we do about shockbolt? should we hope to include the 64x64 tiles in 3.3? should we communicate about it? (d_m, 20:09:16)
    7. ACTION: d_m to ascertain commitment from Shockbolt to complete his tileset for 3.3 (magnate, 20:13:30)
    8. i already have a branch "64x64" which has a 64x64 tileset included (d_m, 20:14:14)
    9. AGREED: 3.3 to enter feature freeze after 64x64 branch is merged (takkaria, 20:17:56)

  3. 3.4 - what next? (takkaria, 20:19:22)
    1. http://trac.rephial.org/ticket/659 - Get valgrind reporting that all memory is properly freed at game exit (Chessa, 20:22:16)
    2. http://trac.rephial.org/ticket/1303 - Create savefile loader testsuite (Chessa, 20:22:39)
    3. AGREED: merge UTF-8 work when ready (takkaria, 20:23:25)
    4. AGREED: drop the GTK port (takkaria, 20:25:14)
    5. IDEA: We should announce the demise of ports, and give a reasonable period for someone to step up as a port-maintainer (noz, 20:27:03)
    6. AGREED: with noz (takkaria, 20:27:27)
    7. IDEA: We should publish a plan/list of changes for the next release at the start of the release dev priod (magnate, 20:28:01)
    8. http://trac.rephial.org/ticket/1014 - Get rid of the hard limit for artifact lights and jewelry (Chessa, 20:28:32)
    9. right now, throwing never gets crits. the item breakage rules are mostly wrong. racial bonuses for throwing make no sense. i'd like to fix these for 3.4 (d_m, 20:28:52)
    10. ACTION: magnate or d_m to open a ticket for stats logging of dungeon generation (magnate, 20:33:08)
    11. http://trac.rephial.org/ticket/1437 - Distinguish side effects from damage for monster melee attacks (Chessa, 20:35:05)
    12. ACTION: devs to assign tickets to themselves for 3.4 and tag them as such (magnate, 20:36:55)
    13. create system for easily adding new tilesets (port menu items), etc (d_m, 20:37:19)
    14. http://trac.rephial.org/ticket/398 - Enhance the Gtk2 port (Chessa, 20:38:59)
    15. http://trac.rephial.org/ticket/136 - Make Windows use libpng (Chessa, 20:39:48)
    16. ACTION: d_m should work on a new FOV/LOS branch for possible including with 3.4 (d_m, 20:40:39)
    17. ACTION: we should touch base with fizzix about ideas for 3.4 (d_m, 20:41:52)
    18. AGREED: people take on their own bugs per the discussion & we collectively author the roadmap for 3.4 to be representative of those tickets (takkaria, 20:46:14)
    19. ACTION: discuss code coverage and polish goals with elly is around (takkaria, 20:53:13)

  4. Maintainer and developer roles (takkaria, 20:56:51)
    1. ACTION: ask elly and fizzix about how they feel about angband dev process without central commit access (d_m, 21:03:13)

  5. community bug submission / tracking (takkaria, 21:06:18)
    1. http://trac.rephial.org/wiki/TicketCreation (magnate, 21:07:47)
    2. IDEA: maybe we should have a sticky fixed post about bugreporting? (takkaria, 21:08:29)
    3. ACTION: magnate to update thread on bug reporting and ask pav to sticky it (magnate, 21:11:12)
    4. one point that i'd like to be clear on: while i'd like to gently coax people to file bugs on trac, i don't want to scare anyone off on reporting bugs (even if in a "wrong" way) (d_m, 21:12:08)
    5. ACTION: everyone should always check for duplicate tickets (takkaria, 21:15:47)

  6. regular check-in meetings (takkaria, 21:17:42)
    1. ACTION: doodle for 1st-10th july (takkaria, 21:19:01)
    2. AGREED: aim for monthly meetings (takkaria, 21:19:10)
    3. ACTION: another doodle for 3.4 end of july (takkaria, 21:21:25)


Meeting ended at 21:22:36 UTC (full logs).

Action items

  1. takkaria to provide RM with shell account on rephial.org
  2. what about \e?
  3. d_m to ascertain commitment from Shockbolt to complete his tileset for 3.3
  4. magnate or d_m to open a ticket for stats logging of dungeon generation
  5. devs to assign tickets to themselves for 3.4 and tag them as such
  6. d_m should work on a new FOV/LOS branch for possible including with 3.4
  7. we should touch base with fizzix about ideas for 3.4
  8. discuss code coverage and polish goals with elly is around
  9. ask elly and fizzix about how they feel about angband dev process without central commit access
  10. magnate to update thread on bug reporting and ask pav to sticky it
  11. everyone should always check for duplicate tickets
  12. doodle for 1st-10th july
  13. another doodle for 3.4 end of july


Action items, by person

  1. d_m
    1. d_m to ascertain commitment from Shockbolt to complete his tileset for 3.3
    2. magnate or d_m to open a ticket for stats logging of dungeon generation
    3. d_m should work on a new FOV/LOS branch for possible including with 3.4
  2. magnate
    1. magnate or d_m to open a ticket for stats logging of dungeon generation
    2. magnate to update thread on bug reporting and ask pav to sticky it
  3. takkaria
    1. takkaria to provide RM with shell account on rephial.org
  4. UNASSIGNED
    1. what about \e?
    2. devs to assign tickets to themselves for 3.4 and tag them as such
    3. we should touch base with fizzix about ideas for 3.4
    4. discuss code coverage and polish goals with elly is around
    5. ask elly and fizzix about how they feel about angband dev process without central commit access
    6. everyone should always check for duplicate tickets
    7. doodle for 1st-10th july
    8. another doodle for 3.4 end of july


People present (lines said)

  1. magnate (244)
  2. takkaria (161)
  3. d_m (148)
  4. myshkin (114)
  5. noz (65)
  6. Chessa (7)
  7. palantir (2)


Generated by MeetBot 0.1.4.